Sweet’n'Sour’n'Spicy Southwestern Salad
A delicious summer side dish, appetizer, or topping for grilled fish or shrimp.
- 2 cups cooked adzuki beans (or use black beans)
- 3 ears of fresh corn
- ½ cup minced red onion
- 1 cup fresh ripe tomato, finely diced
- 1 sweet pepper, minced, any color
- 2 small cans green chilis, choose hot or mild
- ¼ – ½ cup minced cilantro
- Juice of 2 fresh limes (be sure to roll on counter first to loosen juices)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional – more or less to taste)
- Seasalt and pepper to taste
Heat 3 qts of water to boiling, add shucked corn ears and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from water and allow to cool in a strainer. Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl. This combination of legume and whole grain offers a complete array of amino acids needed for human functioning, thus making this dish a “complete protein”. Flavors will meld well over time, so consider making this recipe ahead of time. Use daikon radish or cucumber slices or baked corn chips as dippers.