Rockin’ Resources from Purpose
- From the Field to the Kitchen: Practical Tips and Fascinating Facts Enjoy this internet TV video interview of Tracy talking about what matters most from the journey of food from the farm/field to the market and then to our kitchen.
- Hot Topics in Nutrition Be sure to catch this video of Tracy being interviewed by Dr. Glenn Wollman on the Magical Medical Tour
- Having Fun, Fun, Fun with the GI Tract. Here’s another latest installment of Tracy’s hit series on the Magical Medical Tour with Dr. Glenn Wollman. This one features a fascinating, detailed tour of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Nutrition Myth-Bustin’ at it’s Best! A series of TV shows on which Tracy is a featured guest discussing key health topics with fun and dynamic hosts Becky Carrington and Carrie Brown.
Tracy’s Top Recommended Supplements
Nutrition from 17 fresh, raw fruits and vegetables in four easy capsules per day. Literally nothing else added. Backed by peer-reviewed and published independent university research! This is the one supplement that has remained the backbone of my daily regimen for over ten years now. http://www.tracysharesjuiceplus.com
One of the most important supplements we can all benefit from every day is probiotics. Clinically, this daily dose of beneficial bacteria has been shown to balance and stabilize our immune systems, protecting us from a wide range of issues from allergy and asthma to cancer, multiple sclerosis, and lupus. Given my gastrointestinal expertise, I have researched many brands, and this is by far my preferred brand of probiotics and gastrointestinal support formulae (e.g. digestive enzymes). Use this link to Renew Life to take advantage of a 15% discount AND free shipping discount code: ReNew Life FREE SHIPPING plus 15% savings on ALL Orders code: BESTDEAL
Supplements can be confusing and frustrating. It’s hard to know who to trust and what will work for you. I recommend (and personally use!) Metagenics supplements because they are bioavailable, heavily researched, and proven effective. You can easily find what you need here: www.purpose.meta-ehealth.com . In particular, I highly recommend their OmegaGenics EPA-DHA 720 as an extremely pure, highly-concentrated fish oil that is suitable for anyone and the PhytoMulti is an ideal multivitamin for the average person!
A truly top-notch supplement company offering a wide array of specialty supplements with no artificial additives whatsoever with a focus on allergen-free formulations (e.g. gluten-free, yeast-free) and some of the best offerings of bioavailable B-vitamins in the industry. In particular, I highly recommend Brain Sustain (a protein medical food specifically designed for improved memory/focus/cognition), D3-5000 or D3-2000 (soy-free Vitamin D – a rare find!), GlutAloeMine (a combination of nutrients to heal leaky gut but also to increase protective SCFAs in the colon – I use this with great results in all inflammatory bowel disease and celiac disease), Hormone Protect (a cancer preventive formula that enhances the body’s ability to detoxify estrogen), IgG 2000 DF (my #1 choice for enhance the immune system in the gut to eliminate microbial overgrowth), K2-D3 (finally a capsule-based formula that includes both, to ensure our calcium is routed to bones vs. the arteries or the kidneys – key for women over the age of 45), Memor-All (the most comprehensive formula I have found for enhancing neuron function for better memory/recall), Methyl-Protect (a high-folate anti-homocysteine formula to counter arterial plaque), Mood Food (methyl B-vitamins combined with GABA and 5-HTP, a one-of-a-kind combination), and OptiMetaboliX (my favorite protein medical food for Type 2 Diabetes, jam-packed with nutrients which improve insulin sensitivity). Use this link to set up a direct ordering account. (You’ll need my last name “Harrison” and practitioner referral code “PURPOSE” to get access to ordering.)
This company offers some unique versions of highly-bioavailable supplements that I often recommend to clients. This is where to (finally!) locate harder-to-find supplements like Iodoral (for healthy thyroid and breast/uterine tissue), Readisorb Liposomal Glutathione (for enhanced detoxification, especially of heavy metals), Nattokinase+ and Natto 3X for blood viscosity and hypertension support, the ubiquinol form of Co-Q10, xylitol-sweetened chewing gum, and many more! I have hand-selected and only offer from this site a small subset of prime items. http://www.cpmedical.net/eatonpurpose/
DoTerra Essential Oils
Truly the highest-purity, greatest-efficacy essential oil company I have found. And I really honor the power of using fully natural plant-based remedies for healing. I use Lemon oil with most of my clients with hypertension (~4-5 drops in every glass of water you drink). Lavender oil is excellent massaged into temples and/or the base of the neck for relaxation. Tea tree oil is an excellent anti-fungal (blend with a little coconut oil and use topically anywhere on the body). For warts, mix ~5 drops each of both Frankincense oil and Cypress oil with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar; soak a piece of gauze in this, apply to skin, and wrap well to stabilize it and prevent leakage. Peppermint oil and/or Ginger Oil are great for GI spasms and cramping (~2 drops in ~4 oz water or almond milk as needed). Ginger oil is also fantastic for nausea (in pregnancy too). Lime oil and Ginger oil are fantastic to kick up flavors in your cooking. http://www.mydoterra.com/eatonpurpose
IsoTonix and NutriClean
These supplement brands are particularly helpful for anyone who struggles with gastrointestinal sensitivity and/or difficulty with digestion and absorption. Tablet or capsule supplements can be difficult to manage for these individuals. Isotonix offers powdered nutrients that well-dissolve in water and taste good (even for kids!). I also use these formulae extensively with children (excellent Might-a-Mins brand of multivitamin, digestive enzyme, and probiotic options for children – my top brand recommendation for kids!).
NutriClean offers a particularly great probiotic with high levels of anti-inflammatory strains of bacteria (excellent for IBS, celiac disease, etc.) and also soothing Aloe support for acid reflux and inflammation in the GI mucosal linings. You can find both of these brands online here.
For a rich, easy-to-read, detailed book on nutrition (excellent job uncovering myths), healthy food preparation and traditional recipes, I recommend Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. This is by far, my cooking bible.
For everyday, simple meal recipes, I recommend
- Clean Start and Clean Food , both by Terry Walters (creative, simple ideas for how to consume more plant foods)
- Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan (an excellent primer to “paleo diet”-like, low-glycemic eating)
- Nourishing Meals by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre (excellent gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free options)
- The Eat Clean Cookbook by Tosca Reno
High-Quality Animal Protein
I am very passionate about the ethical treatment of farm animals. Learning the reality of today’s typical factory farming practices across the US usually evokes horror in those who are willing to look at the painful truth. Help make major social change in this area by voting with your dollars. Seek out and purchase only humanely raised, pastured, grass-fed meat products. In a nutshell, these are naturally raised animals, not those confined to tiny cages in a dark building for their entire lives. Once you look outside your typical grocery store, there are many sources available, especially on-line, where great bargains are to be found for buying frozen, high-quality meats in bulk.
If you are in Massachusetts, be sure to check out my most favorite source for meat: www.chestnutfarms.org. From their farm in Hardwick, MA (mid-state), Kim Denney and her family make monthly trips into Westborough, Natick, Arlington, and other eastern spots to drop off wonderful (and reasonably priced) beef, pork, chicken, and lamb to conscientious eaters.
Nationwide, you can learn resources for pasture-raised and grass-fed, free-range foods in your state here: http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html
Health Information and Advice
There are so many wonderful information sources out there to support natural, healthy eating and living. I have reviewed many of them, and here are some of the ones I value the most:
- Excellent weekly newsletter highlighting the latest in health research and uncovering the often distorted health messages communicated in the mass media www.mercola.com
- NaturalNews Insider Alert (www.NaturalNews.com) newsletter
- Dr. Andrew Weil is a medical doctor who believes in natural health and healing. Check out his web page for practical advice and suggestions on many topics: http://www.drweil.com/
- www.drhyman.com has a particularly good blog on natural treatments for ailments and illness. Dr. Mark Hyman is particularly well-known for successfully helping people to identify hard-to-diagnose food and environmental allergies/sensitivies.
Healthy Recipes from Integrative Nutrition
Local practitioners in Metrowest Boston I personally recommend
- Physical Cranial-Sacral Therapy - Rowe Physical Therapy in Wellesley www.rowept.com
- Massage therapist - Anna at The Spa at Richard Francis Salon in Ashland http://www.richardfrancissalon.com/ and Lil Sklenarik in Hopkinton http://www.massagetherapyforhealth.com/
- Personal Chef - Martha Ulfelder (can handle special diets) http://www.simplydeliciouschef.com/
- Personal Trainer/Dance classes - Andrea Longo at Finess A La Carte in Milford http://www.fitnessalacarte.net
- Yoga - Melissa Fountain (Svaroopa) http://www.yogaconnectionmetrowest.com/
and Mystic Fitness (variety/heated) http://www.mysticfitness.com
- Acupuncture - Drs. DePaula at Root and Branch Medicine in Hopkinton,MA http://www.rootandbranchom.com
and Steve Kingsbury in Ashland, MA http://acacupuncture.com
- Chiropractic - Dr. Scott MacIver at Metrowest Spine and Laser Center in Ashland http://www.metrowestspineandlasercenter.com